Click here to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
Click to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
EUPHONICS: THE ANTI-MUSIC MUSIC (click here to purchase your copy!!)








free web counters
ISP Internet Providers



Tuesday, April 05, 2005

N.E.R.D.

Danjaruz Demeanor:


Daily Danjaruz Deliberation:
"Something told mom
To look towards the light
But the sun wasnt yellow
It had turned white
So she listened and swam
She swam for the light
Like the Michelin man
She swam with such might"


Danjaruz Disclosures, Declarations, and Diatribes:
Yeah, I love N.E.R.D. (which stands for No one Ever Really Dies)



I really love this band, consisting of Pharrell, Chad, and Shay (the other guy).

When I say N.E.R.D., people are like "Oh yeah, the Neptunes" and I'm like naw dude, N.E.R.D. is different, man. Yeah Pharrell and Chad make up the production team, The Neptunes, probably one of the hottest production teams EVER. But their band, N.E.R.D. is a different entity. This is basically a rock band that explores so many topics, views, opinions, musical styles, etc. "Pharrell Williams" is also a seperate entity (see "Frontin'" and collabos with Snoop Dogg "Let's Get Blown" and "Beautiful"). They are such a punk skater group, it's wonderful! They take me back to the days when skateboards, tagging notebooks, and drawing/creating cartoon characters was cool to do and if you weren't into this stuff, you were hella lame.



Ok, so originally, they had this album, In Search of... but they ended up not wanting to release it because they felt that it was too much like their Neptunes sound. It was later released in the UK and of course folks on the internet got it, including yours truly. In Search Of... wasn't the impressive but yielded one of my favorite N.E.R.D. songs.



Fly Or Die is their latest, and most recognized, effort. It took me a while to get it because of how I didnt relate well to the first one. But my homegirl put me on, and I have been hooked ever since.



Yeah, they are smoking some serious shit man, for real. Like, if you can't tell that high people wrote the lyrics to their songs, you are stupid. That's it. You are stupid.

They are the kings of double/hidden tracks. Almost every track on Fly Or Die consists of two songs, some you have to wait for, some that jump right on the back of the first. Definitely money's worth.

Shall we toss around a few of my fav tracks?

"Run To The Sun"- from In Search Of...
Yesterday I tied two rocks together
That symbolize our lives
And threw them in the ocean
Now they're on the ocean floor coastin'
'Til they stop rollin' so far
That no sonar would list them
To the point that no one would even believe that we existed
I know that may sound twisted
But my neglect is killin' me
I feel so guilty
Please have faith if you feel me

It goes while you're here
I wanna tell you something
It's that I love you girl
Yeah, and I wish we could run to the sun
And never come back
Yeah


Would you believe Pharrell wrote this song about his grandmother who passed away? When you listen to it, you might assume he is singing to a lost romantic love. This is my favorite "Neptunes"-ish song. It has the typical Neptunes beat, just a bit smoothed out. It was arguably the best track on the first album.

"Drill Sergeant"- from Fly or Die
Drill sergeant, not a word from you
I'm not going to war (I'm not going to war)
I'm a cashier at Goodwin Books
I work at the Barnes and Noble store (Barnes and Noble store)
You must think you're Orson Wells
And this is 1954
You don't understand liberty until
someone speaks for yours (someone speaks for yours)

Shame on you,
you say you serve your country
while I'm young
Shame on you,
Loosen my mind up, handing me guns
Bye bye Mom and Dad and all
just in case there's failure
I could be blaming you
but I've got something to tell ya...


Let it be said that N.E.R.D. definitely gets political. While a lot of their work is quite abstract, there are some pieces that speak directly about certain subjects. This song is a throwback to 1960s rock music and has a very retro feel to it. Led by what could be described as a marching band beat (military rhythm), they speak out against war. This is one of the tracks that has two songs in one. The second part is a thrasher song that will make you want to head bang. Seriously, I'm banging now. "So sorry so sorry so sorry then they fuck you from behind!!!" *head bang*

"Wonderful Place"- same
Damn, it's setting in now (I'm so high)
'Cause cartoons are turning into real life.
Lemons and limes are fighting.
Fighting over straws,
Like they were oil filled pipes.

Why's the sun writing this song?
Why is this funny to me?
All of a sudden the mouse comes along,
And what he sings brings harmony...


Yeah. Weed. Lots of it. I like the simplicity of the melody. It is very My Little Pony-ish or Care Bears-y. Very "tra la la" lol. Nice slow rhythm as Pharrell sings about what he thinks about and experiences when he gets high and goes to the "wonderful place".

"The Way She Dances"- same
I am in your aquarium
Are you are mermaid or somethin'?
Is it possible to marry one?
Big tits and a fat ass and turquoise fin
When your eyes are closed I hope I'm the man you see
'Cause if not, I want you to know tonight I plan to be
Is this for me? HO!

Calling all cars, please arrest her
She's a criminal in my dreams
She just stole my heart
It's a A.P.B.


This is one of their typical rocker songs, straight forward rock melody and rhythm. Subtle verses, heavy thrasher chorus, retains danceability. I just had to highlight some of the funny ways Pharrell uses imagery to describe what he is thinking. He likens this woman he sees dancing to a well-endowed mermaid. Uh huh. Right. Weed man, for real. And we have to love the nod to corny pick-up lines dudes use in clubs.

**Ok so I'm done obssessing. Shutting off Music Match. if you have not given them a listen, and you are open to all types of music, I recommend you give N.E.R.D. a try. I do not think you will be disappointed. If you spark, blaze one while you listen to the disc. If you dont, you will seriously consider it once the disc is done***

3 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

you are so on point. N.E.R.D. is AMAZING!!!

10:34 AM, April 05, 2005  
Blogger Meka said...

I always liked the Neptunes because they were different than what was currently out there, so I will definitely check it out.

12:10 PM, April 05, 2005  
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

i loved the first album. Lapdance is my shit! and the other single...rockstar? Sheeet...I pumps dat!

7:34 PM, April 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home