Click here to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
Click to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
EUPHONICS: THE ANTI-MUSIC MUSIC (click here to purchase your copy!!)








free web counters
ISP Internet Providers



Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Songs We Forget We Remember

Danjaruz Disclosures, Declarations, and Diatribes:
Am I the only one seeing stars? Ok, wow, the world just seems brighter. Cool.

yeah so I moved my blog to http://www.danjaruz.com/blog.html. Chances are, you know this by now, but make sure you tell all of your friends so they can come visit me!


Ok I just had to do a blog post dedicated to those "classic" songs we seem to forget, but once we hear them, we know ALL of the words. I was talking to a friend the other day about this. You could go 10 years without hearing a song, but let that song come on the radio, or you somehow rediscover it, you know all or most of the words. Could be corny song. Could have been underappreciated classics. Could have been songs with some part that made you be like "awwww shit thats the jam!!!"

And so we begin:

"Sometimes I Miss You"- PM Dawn

See, I could have gone with "Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" but you all remember that, so it defeats the purpose. This was the song that looped in Al. B. Sure's "Night and Day" during the chorus, while they spoke/sang "Sommmmetimeeessss I misssss you (sometimes i miss you) sometimesssss I misss you (soooo much)"

Standout Lyric(s)
"The Christ in you is the christ in me..."

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Sometimes I Miss You So Much"

"Screams of Passion"- the Family

Tell me you didn't just nod your head to this song with the heavy baseline, thinking it was Prince's new sound, not realizing, initially, that it was another one of his "groups"... Like The Time, The Family has heavy Prince influence and even featured his vocals, but this song was their signature.

Standout Lyric(s)
"Take me in your arms oh baby...I'd rather die here in your, your screams of passion"

"Ghetto Heaven"- The Family Stand

By far, one of the most forgotten songs, I believe. This song paved the way for Soul II Soul, but fell in line with groups like Club Nuveaux(sp?) and Loose Ends, among others. This was a good period for mixed gender groups, featuring instrumentalists.

Standout Lyric(s)
"It's quarter to 11, I need a little ghetto heaven"

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Ghetto Heaven"

"Ain't My Type of Hype"- Full Force

You ALL remember this from one of the best dance scenes in a movie. Dancers: Kid-N-Play, A.J. Johnson, and Tisha Campbell. Movie: House Party. You not only remember the song, your favorite part is the bridge, and you remember the dancing because that was your favorite part of the movie.

Standout Lyric(s)
"You look sooooo good (You look so good). Ain't my type of hype baby, you and me are crazy cool"

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Ain't My Type Of Hype"

"Keep On Walking"- Ce Ce Peniston

Remember Ce Ce's hair cut? Didn't all the sistas want that style, but fell short cuz we didn't have that "latina" in us? We loved the video, with her checking out the dudes at the basketball court. This was one of those sing-a-long songs, we loved.

Standout Lyric(s)
"I thought that what we had would never end, but now it's too late for my heart to mend. And although what we had, was good, I've got to make it understood"

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Keep On Walking"

"Dancing In The Key Of Life"- Steve Arrington

Steve Arrington...ringing a bell? Yes!! Featured singer in Slave (known for "Watching You", most recently sampled by Snoop dogg in "Let's Get Blown") This song was like his turn into gospel almost, but not quite.

Standout Lyric(s)
"Dancing feet, dancing in the key of liiiiife"

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Dancing In The Key Of Life"

"Always"- Cherrelle, Pebbles, Alexander O'Neal

See, y'all thought about Saturday Love first didn't you? But "Always" was the better song. Especially when the ladies are talking about how they are going to sing the song together.

Standout Lyric(s)
'Baby... don't leave me... don't ever desert me. I promise... my life to you, and I'll love you always"

"Feel Like Making Love"- Bad Company

I know, I know, it isn't ringing a bell. But when you hear it, you will remember it, and the words. Its a classic 70s southern rock song.

Standout Lyric(s)
"If I had, the sun and moon, they would shinnnnneeeee and, I would give you, both night and day, love satisfyyyyyyyying. I feel like making love!!" *head bang*

"Thanks for My Child"- Cheryl Riley

Single mothers got their voice. Someone sang out about the issues they were having, which meant that the problem was becoming big and could no logner be hush-hush. Before that HORRIBLE song 'Baby Mama' by Fantasia, there was Cheryl "Pepsi" Riley singing about being left alone to raise her son.

Standout Lyric(s)
"And though your father, he ran away afraid, the love I have for you baby, is the love I have in me"

"Tom's Diner"- Suzanne Vega

Nod your head, doo doo doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doooo doo doo doo doooo doo.
You remember this off the wall song, right? Did you know it was an a capella, off the dome song she performed live on MTV? Someone took her lyrics and added the track behind it. We loved the beat, it was very ethnic. She was a folk singer lol.

Standout Lyric(s)
"So instead I poured the milk"

"Don't Want To Fall In Love"- Jane Child

Teddy Riley's first "hit" song as a producer. Weirded out white girl Jane, with the earring from her ear to her nose, linked with a chain. She was the mohawk lady with the blue-eyed soul voice. We were ALL shocked to see that she was white. As shocked as we were about Taylor Dane (oooooh, took it back!) and Mariah Carey.

Standout Lyric(s)
"I don't want to fall in love (no no), love cuts just like a knife (wooowooo) You make the night feel good (babyyyy) I'll fight you 'til the end"

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Don't Want To Fall In Love"

"Something About You"- Level 42

I loved Europop. Level 42, A-ha, Wham, etc. They took our R&B sound and as Paula Abdul would say, "made it their own". I rediscovered this song a few years ago and damn near lost my mind.

Standout Lyric(s)
"Don't enter this dreaaammmm of undefined illusionsssss. Oh and you need to feel, the time that told the truthhhhhhh, that there is something about you....babyyyy.... so riiiiight"

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Something About You"

"Mama Used To Say"- Junior

I used this for my mother's day blog. But when you hear those opening bell chimes, you know EXACTLY what song this is and you end up singing right along. Junior, the knock-ff Sylvester lol.

Standout Lyric(s)
"Mama used to say, take your time young man, mama used to say, don't you rush to get older"

"Get It Up"- The Time

Another Prince group, with another song with his vocals. We know The Time rom Purple Rain and singing "The Bird" and other songs, but this lesser-known gem is my favorite song. TLC redid this song later on.

Standout Lyric(s)
"Get it up, get it up, I'll fuck you all night!!

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Get It Up"

"Heartbreak Hotel"- Michael Jackson

Definitely in my Top 10 all time favorite Michael Jackson songs of all time. Michael was tlaking about womEn, multiple womEn. That along makes it great.

Standout Lyric(s)
"This is hearrrrrrrrt break hotelllllllll, welcome to hearrrrrrrrrrrt break hotelllllllll"

"Please Don't Go Girl"- New Kids on the Block

You can try to deny that you listen to New Kids like you can try to deny you knew all the words to Vanilla Ice's "Ice, Ice Baby". Stop. This song was precious and brought tears to MY eyes, don't know bout yall.

"Tonight"- Ready For The World

Ready For The World had fake British accents, jheri curls, and wavy mustaches. But damn if they didn't make some panty-wetting songs. *getting moist* What yall know bout this hyeah!!

Standout Lyric(s)
"You're more woman, than I've ever seen girrrrrrl, toniiiiiight

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Tonight"

"Do You Really Want Me"- Salt-N-Pepa

One of the many SNP jewels that folks slept on, I believe. Dig in ya crates folks, Black's Magic was a rare jewel.

Standout Lyric(s)
"you pu up with my butt, when I wouldnt give it up. Yeah, I know that really sucks, but if you wait awhile, I'll make it up"

Right click on this link and hit save target as... to download "Do You Really Want Me"

"One Blood"- Junior Reid

What??!!! OMG, you know damn well you get all those nationalities confused but you still knew what he was singing about.

Standout Lyric(s)
"Blooooooooooood, bloooooooo-oooood!!!"

"Somebody Else's Guy"- Jocelyn Brown

This song reminds me of my father. I remember he would pic me up in his arms and dance around the room with me, and for some reason, I always remembered this song playing.

Standout Lyric(s)
"What am I supposed to do, when I'm so hooked on you? Then I realize, that you're somebody else's guy"

"Congratulations"- Vesta Williams

Vesta Williams had an AMAZING voice, but I think she was slept on overall. This, in my opinion, was her best song, and the video was sad.

Standout Lyric(s)
"I hope she makes you happy, because you didn't even say goodbyeeeee (run)"

2 Comments:

Blogger Amadeo said...

Tom's Diner is a classic. Diggin the songs. In regards to P.M. Dawn I have to suggest,"I'd Die Without You".

11:58 AM, May 18, 2005  
Blogger Breez said...

Tom's Diner has been stuck in my head all week. I must go to Limewire and, er, procure it. I thought you would have gone with I'd Die Without You as well, but I guess we can't do EVERYTHING the same.

3:58 PM, May 19, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home