Click here to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
Click to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
EUPHONICS: THE ANTI-MUSIC MUSIC (click here to purchase your copy!!)








free web counters
ISP Internet Providers



Sunday, March 06, 2005

Knowledge=Power

Danjaruz Depictions:

De La Salle Academy
1990-1993


The Lawrenceville School
1993-1997


1998-2002

Daily Danjaruz Deliberation:
"With the grittiest lingo, still such a little sweetheart. Book educated with a whole lotta street smarts"- Rah Digga, "Harriet Thugman"


Danjaruz Disclosures, Declarations, and Diatribes:
"Founded in 1984 by Brother Brian Carty, FSC, De La Salle Academy is a private, independent, non-sectarian middle school located in Manhattan. The school's student body includes youngsters from all five boroughs of New York City. De La Salle is the only private, independent school in New York City for academically talented, economically disadvantaged boys and girls in grades six through eight. Our admissions policy is needs-blind; each year we have to raise over 80% of the school's annual budget from sources other than tuition."

"A Lawrenceville student finds the hours of the day crowded with academic, social, athletic, and community activities. The challenge and goal of a Lawrenceville education is to learn to enjoy the many opportunities available here while managing time in a healthy way. Students are encouraged to choose from a wide range of activities outside their academic requirements, and the daily life of the residential school continues well into the evening as academics and athletics give way to club activities, quiet study, and the many friendships of house life."

"At the University of Pennsylvania, you'll find a historic, Ivy League school with highly selective admissions and a history of innovation in interdisciplinary education and scholarship. You'll also find a picturesque campus amidst a dynamic city and a world-class research institution. Today Penn is home to a diverse undergraduate student body of nearly 10,000, hailing from every state in the union and all around the globe. Admissions are among the most selective in the country and Penn consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Another 10,000 students are enrolled in Penn's 12 graduate and professional schools, which are national leaders in their fields. The Wharton School is consistently one of the nation's top three business schools. The School of Nursing is one of the two best in the U.S. The School of Arts and Sciences, Graduate School of Education, Law School, School of Medicine, and School of Veterinary Medicine all rank among the top 10 schools in their fields."


Allow me to introduce three fine educational institutions. I bring these schools to light because they helped shaped the person I am, and were places where I came to understand more about myself, make wonderful friends and connections, and obtain education and knowledge I have always dreamed about.

On Public School:
I went to public school from Kindegarten to 5th grade. They wanted to skip me, but my mom did not allow it. I was in the TAG (Talented And Gifted) program from 2nd grade and up. This program exposed students to different types of educational expereinces outside of the realms of "regular" classes. Grades in my school were broken into 3 sections, "top" "middle" and "bottom". I believe this was their way of ranking students. I was always in the top classes, but for those of us "special" students, the TAG program took us above even the "top" classes. I remember there being maybe 6 or 7 of us who were pulled out of class a couple of times a week, brought to a small room in the basement, and taught things that the other kids didnt get to learn in class. We were given special projects, taken on special trips, spoken to "differently" than other kids. This, too, eventually became boring to me. I began to do things to get attention. I was the kid who finished the homework 20 mintues after it was written on the board. I was the kid who made jokes and acted out because I was bored. I received enough "unsatisfactory" marks for behavior so my mother sought something different for me. This is when she saw a small advertisement for a small private school in Manhattan seeking to help students of color from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.

On De La Salle:
To get into De La Salle, a student has to first take an exam, very much like the standardized exams taken in public schools. Depending on how the student does on this exam, he/she is invited back to participate in a Simulated School Day. This is when students get together for mini-classes and the teachers are looking to see how these students act in a classroom setting. After discussion about students' participations, select students are invited back for an interview. This is the final step. Depending on the outcome of the interview, select students are offered coveted slots in the 6th or 7th grades.

DLS was no joke, folks. Academically and socially, DLS was challenging. This is the time when we go through puberty, have body changes, and get ready for the next big step: high school. I went through MAJOR changes at DLS. I grew over 6 inches, I gained a lot of weight, I learned a lot about friendship, I had to deal with older men thinking I was older than my 11, 12, and 13 years. I was taller than everyone, even the boys. I battled ADD and depression at DLS, and more than anything, I wanted to get away from home. I loved going to DLS because it afforded me exposure and opportunities I might not have had, had I continued on in the public school system. This is not to say that people do not do well in public schools, I just know that for me, it would not have been the best thing. While attending DLS, I was introduced to The Albert G. Oliver Program, which was founded to help students of color from disadvantaged economic backgrounds get into Independent Day and Private Boarding Schools. With or without the program, I knew I was going to boarding school because that was what I wanted to do since the 6th grade, but the program made the process a LOT easier.

On Lawrenceville:
Of the three schools I have mentioned, L'ville had the biggest impact on me. Imagine leaving home at age 14 to move to a new town and go to school, while knowing nothing about it or anyone around. One of the benefits of the AGO program was that they linked me up with some older students who attended the same school. This helped me a lot with the transition. Who knew that so many black and latino students, poor, middle class, and wealthy, would be at a boarding school? I always thought boarding school was for discipline. Like, you were bad so you were sent away. But in reading about them, I realized these were schools for either the super wealthy/well-known, or the super smart, or both. I became MICHELLE at L'ville. I met my best friend at L'ville (12 years and counting, homie). I had some terrible experiences at L'ville, but also some wonderful, life-changing experiences. I was able to explore and further develop my natural talent I had for acting and singing. I came to realize that writing was a passion of mine, and that dream I always had of becoming a teacher was reinforced at L'ville. I became more interested in my culture and more active in the "struggle". I developed my love for football and football players at L'ville. I also began a 10 year addiction to nicotine and developed a taste for long island iced teas at L'ville.

What is most important is that I came to understand that there is a whole world out there that kids in the inner-cities are not exposed to, one of privilege, money, top education, endless resources, and networking. To live in a house with white girls who were heirs to the Hearst and Bunn thrones, to kick back with some Penskes and Bauers, to smoke good weed with faculty brats. It was amazing, simply amazing.

On Penn:
UPenn is currently ranked 4th in the nation, tied with some other schools. Penn is a great school known for its academics, faculty, schools (Wharton School of Business, especially), bottomless financial resources, and being one of the more "fun" Ivy League Schools. For me, Penn was my own personal playground. I took advantage of everything the school had to offer. I made some lifelong friends and was able to do things I'd only dreamed about like run a newspaper, write/direct a play, meet Black Panther Bobby Seele, etc. I was able to study things I was interested in, feeling no pressure to go pre-med or prepare for law school. I studied my people and was content doing so. More than content, actually. I connected with people on deeper levels than I could imagine. My life changed dramatically while at Penn, and anyone considering attending an Ivy League school, I would recommend my alma mater, UPenn.

I am happy that I was blessed with these opportunites, but also proud that I worked hard to get to the places I have gotten in life. I take nothing for granted, not a single thing. Life was not easy for me, but aside from the strife I have had, I have had some good times as well. Many of these good times were linked with these schools. Im a nerd and I love to learn. If I could, I would spend the rest of my life as a full-time student. I miss being in class; I'm bored. I think I'll take some classes at a local community college or something, just to whet my appetite for an academic setting, without having to kick out too much money.

There you have it folks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home