Click here to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
Click to join IntelligentBrothersandSisters
EUPHONICS: THE ANTI-MUSIC MUSIC (click here to purchase your copy!!)








free web counters
ISP Internet Providers



Monday, August 22, 2005

Friends... How Many Of Us Have Them

Danjaruz Demeanor:
Thankful

Daily Danjaruz Deliberation:
"What about your friends?
Will They stand their ground?
Will they let you down again?
What about your friends?
Will they be low down?
Will they ever be around?
Or will they turn their backs on you?

Danjaruz Disclosures, Declarations, and Diatribes:

Recently, I have been running into a lot of people from my past. Some people I considered really great friends at the point I knew them, others people I knew from different points in my life. I have also been in touch with people who have been constants in my life, but with whom I do not speak as much. This is amazing to me. In some cases, I talked some of these people up.

Exhibit A: I had a long talk with my boyfriend about some of my friends from college, and how right after graduation, some things went down and we all sort of went out different ways. I explained some of the key players. One of those young women was Sandra* [not her real name]and she and I were roommates sophomore year. She and I also majored in the same field, and were involved in the Arts scene at school. I explained to him how she was one of the sweetest, honest, beautiful people I had ever had the privilege to know, and how a mutual friend of ours had done some really foul shit to her, and in essence all of us. He violated our circle of friends, chasing after pussy. We were all disappointed, but I was pissed off mostly at him for hurting her because she is someone who didnt deserve it. Through other people, I tracked her over the last 3 years, found out she'd gone on to graduate school and was persuing her dreams of being a dancer and writer via arts administration. This past Saturday, we ran into her at the Harlem Day Festival. I was standing on the corner with my hubby and step-daughter and I heard someone call my name. When I turned around and saw her, I almost dropped what I had in my hands trying to run to her. We hugged so tightly and I could not believe she was there. Last I heard, she was still in Philadelphia, but no one had her address or telephone number. She gave me her cell phone number and I called her phone. She had my number stored, but wasnt sure if it was still valid. This was SO amazing to me. I know now that I will NOT lose contact with her and I look forward to us spendng more time together.

Side Note: I realize every now and then that my an and I were destined to be together. Another piece of evidence came last night when we went to his best friend's house, cuz moms was cooking and you know how that goes. I was sitting on a couch and looked at some mail sitting on the arm. I saw a name that I remembered from high school, but almost couldn't believe it. it was such a unique name that I had to ask best friend about it. After comparing notes, he was convinced it was the same person, and after we left, he called this guy, who is in fact his first cousin. We are on the phone talking and catching up and I am yet again amazed at how I am reconnecting with someone from the past, but also that this person is only 3 degrees away from me in terms of familial connections. AMAZING!!

So because of this connection with this guy from high school, I called my best friend from high school to tell her about it. Mind you, I havent spoken to her in a couple of months. See, she is going to be my maid of hono and godmother to my first born, but we only speak maybe 4 or 5 times a year and we see each other maybe once a year. We are perfectly fine with this because this is the nature of our relationship. She only lives in Newark too, go figure lol. Anyway, she and I were able to talk and catch up, as is our way, and of course it felt like we just spoke last week. I love the relationship that she and I have because we give each other space, but not too much that we lose touch, yet we dont stifle each other, which caters to both of our personalities. Aside from my boyfriend, I only have one other friend that I speak to at length daily, and one other friend i speak to daily but shirt convos. I just cannot be bothered, and I realized that. I dont need to have people all up under me, nor do I need to be up under anybody else. Some folks don't understand that and as a result, I've "lost" a number of "friends" *shrug* My high school friend and I have been friends for 12 years and our system works. People I have had in my life and spoken to everyday lasted a few months. imagine that.

So a few weeeks ago, Papi and I were walking and a woman came up to me and was like "Michelle?" and I was like yes? and she was like "Did you go to De La Salle Academy?" and I was like yeah? And she introduced herself and I swear I would give money to see the look on my face. She was one of my closest friends in JHS, but I didnt remember her because she lost about half the weight she had back then and she seemed shorter for some reason. But there were 4 of us. We called ourselves the "Bond Of Love". We hung out, read romance novels, and looked out for each other. Ironically, I had run into another member of the bond 2 years earlier and the mother of the last girl at the festival the same day I ran into Sandra*. Funny how things come full-circle eh? This woman was someone I have known for 14 years man... that is a LONG time.

These were people who, at some point in my life, were some of the closest people to me. Circumstances often seperate people, especially when you are tooyoung to understand the value of keeping in touch. After JHS, most of us went off to different boarding schools in different states. Stopped attending reunions at JHS. Go off to college, some folks go abroad, you meet new people. High school folks I have been reconnecting with a lot lately through friendstar.com I swear this is one of the best things. LOL. I have found at least 20-25 high school folks I was cool with.

This whole reconnection thing means something big but I dont know what yet. Maybe it symbolizes my growth and the fact that yes, everything does come full circle. Maybe it is designed to remind me of what real friendships are and were or what real people were like. It is showing me that even though the closest people to my heart might not be the closest to me physically, they are no less important. I cannot try and fill their spots with fluffy people full of nothing but shit. I remind myself that I do not have to settle, because at some point, I had all different types of people calling me "friend", not talking shit about me, not hating on me, not trying to cause drama for me, not stalking me, not overly concerned with my personal business.

My best friend from high school was like "you know what? if you need to find me, I'm either home or somewhere with my man. you know why? because I dont need to be running the streets. I know who my friends are, where they are, and how to get to them. They are few in number and Im cool with that" She was so right and I agree with her 100%

****12 more days until the NYC blogers do it up!!!***

2 Comments:

Blogger Breez said...

I've always found that a small circle works best. My name has NEVER been caught up in bull in 28 years.

12:20 PM, August 22, 2005  
Blogger Chele said...

Re-discovering good friends is a wonderful thing.

12:45 PM, August 28, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home